Subject: Re: mkisofs(8) options?
To: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/17/2007 08:39:03

On Sep 13, 2007, at 6:18 PM, James Hartley wrote:

> I have successfully created a number of bootable CD images using the
> following mkisofs(8) options:
>
> mkisofs -o image.iso -b i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs -c
> boot.catalog \
>             -l -J -r -L dirname
>
> All of these images were ~200MB in size.
>
> Similar images ~250MB in size created with the following mkisofs(8)
>
> mkisofs -o image.iso -b i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs -c
> boot.catalog -l -J -r \
>                 -allow-leading-dots dirname
>
> ...work in systems without floppy drives (laptops), but in a system
> with a floppy drive, I see the following during the display of dmesg:

> fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80cyl, 2 head, 18sec
> boot drive: fd0
> device cd0 (0x600) not configured
> root device (default fd0a): _
>
> ...where booting stops waiting for input.
>
> Updating all code to 4.0_RC1, & using the same mkisofs options as
> above:
>
> mkisofs -o image.iso -b i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs -c
> boot.catalog -l -J -r \
>                 -allow-leading-dots dirname
>
> ...produces a image which reproducibly doesn't boot with the following
> unsuccessful dialogue displayed when booting on any system:
>
>>> NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot. Revision 3.3
>>> (builds@wb43, Tue Sep 11 09:43:11 PDT 2007)
>>> Memory: 636/2086720 k
>
> Press return to boot now, and any other key for boot menu
> booting fd0a: netbsd - starting in 0
> read header short
> boot: fd0a: netbsd: Inappropriate file type or format
> booting fd0a:netbsd.gz
> open netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
> boot: fd0a:netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
> booting fd0a: onetbsd - starting in 0
> open onetbsd: No such file or directory
> boot: fd0a:onetbsd: No such file or directory
> booting fd0a:onetbsd.gz
> open onetbsd.gz: No such file or directory
> boot: fd0a:onetbsd.gz: No such file or directory
> booting fd0a:netbsd.old - starting in 0
> open netbsd.old: No such file or directory
> boot: fd0a:netbsd.old: No such file or directory
> booting fd0a:netbsd.old.gz
> open netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory
> boot: fd0a:netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory
>>

> I have not fully understood the floppy size limitations imposed on
> images created by mkisofs(8), nor what exactly these filesystem
> templates are:
>
> $ file i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs
> boot-big.fs: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c
> $
>
> Is changing the manner used to create these system images as described
> in the following a better choice?
>
> http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_build_your_own_NetBSD_LiveCD
>
> Any clarification offered would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jim

Hi

you can try build.sh iso-image option it works like a charm to me And
it is easy to start.

$cd /usr/src/
$./build.sh iso-image

This commmand will produce iso-image in $RELEASEDIR/

Regards
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad@jabber.org
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto