Subject: Re: NetBSD NSF server with OS X NFS clients
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2007 13:28:48
--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 11:52:35AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Giles Lean wrote:
> >Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> wrote:
> >>Then, I noticed that files with umlaut characters (?, ?, ?, ?
> >>on my case) in their names cannot be accessed by OS X.  Some kind =20
> >>of a
> >>Latin-1 vs. UTF thing.

It is.

> >How are you trying to access them?  If I've created the test file
> >correctly, then I can read it with cat(1) on OS/X and edit it with
> >vi(1) via a NFS mount from a NetBSD-4.0_RC1 system.
>=20
> That makes sense, as NFS predates i18n and many of the simple CLI =20
> utilities like cat or vi you've mentioned are not going to be locale =20
> aware, either.
>=20
> >On the other hand:
> >
> >o TextEdit.app fails to open the test file whether I try File->Open
> >  within TextEdit or if I specify FileEdit.app from the Finder
> >
> >o Safari was the same as TextEdit, and won't open the file
> >
> >o Firefox exited with 'The application Firefox quit unexpectedly' (I
> >  tried twice, and it fell over twice) when I try to open the file
>=20
> The Mac HFS filesystem represents all filenames in Unicode (UTF16) =20
> [1], which is not the case for Berkeley FFS aka the UFS of NetBSD.  I =20
> suspect that the tools mentioned above notice that the filename =20
> contains non-ASCII characters, and convert the path into the UTF16 =20
> representation they expect to find and fail because that pathname =20
> doesn't really exist over NFS.

Yes, but NFS isn't HFS.

No one's going to send UTF-16 over the wire for NFS. It would never work.=
=20
UTF-8 however would.

A more likely failure is that one of the frameworks is detecting that the=
=20
path is not valid UTF-8 and rejecting things based on that.

Take care,

Bill

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--