Subject: initialization order & permanently mounting USB drives?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/10/2007 00:29:36
Although I suspect the answer is to add mount(8) commands to
/etc/rc.local, I'll ask anyways...

I'd like to mount multiple partitions on a USB drive at system
startup.  If I add the appropriate entries to /etc/fstab, the order of
initialization appears to check /etc/fstab before the USB drive is
detected.  Below is the contents of /etc/fstab:

# NetBSD /etc/fstab
# See /usr/share/examples/fstab/ for more examples.
/dev/sd0a               /       ffs     rw               1 1
/dev/sd0b               none    swap    sw               0 0
/dev/sd0e               /usr    ffs     rw               1 2
/dev/sd0f               /var    ffs     rw               1 2
/dev/sd0g               /home   ffs     rw               1 2
/dev/sd0b               /tmp    mfs     rw,-s=263070
kernfs          /kern   kernfs  rw
procfs          /proc   procfs  rw,noauto
/dev/sd1k               /mnt    ffs     rw               1 2

...where the desired USB drive partition is /dev/sd1k.  Yet at boot, I
see the following at the end of the displayed dmesg:

Starting file system checks:
/dev/rsd0a: file system is clean;  not checking
Can't open /dev/sd1k:  Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILESYSTEM.
/dev/rsd1k:  UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;  RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
/dev/rsd0e:  file system is clean;  not checking
/dev/rsd0f:  file system is clean;  not checking
/dev/rsd0g:  file system is clean;  not checking
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:  ffs:
/dev/rsd1k (/mnt)
Automatic file system check failed;  help!
Sep  9 23:12:01 init: '/bin/sh' on '/etc/rc' terminated abnormally,
going to single user mode
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:  umass0 at uhub4 port 3
configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Genesys Logic USB TO IDE, rev 2.00/0.33, addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd1 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <ST980821, 0A, 0811> disk fixed
sd1: fabricating a geometry
sd1: 76319 MB, 76219 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 156301488 sectors
#

Should I simply add the appropriate mount(8) commands to
/etc/rc.local, is there some place better, or is something else going
on?

Thanks for any candor which can be shared.

Jim