Subject: RE: The Fall of NetBSD
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/28/2007 18:44:10
Haai,

On Tue, August 28, 2007 18:30, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 05:51:57PM -0000, De Zeurkous wrote:
>> Haai,
>>
>[snip]
>> The last one was Theo de Raadt, wasn't it?
>
> I'm sorry, I must be missing something.  You keep comparing yourself to
> Theo de Raadt and Charles M. Hannum,

Wait -- I don't. I simply see obvious parallels between this situtation
and the ones surrounding those two people. I've, to my best knowledge,
never been in direct communication with them and I'm not even sure I have
an initial liking for them. Thus, on a purely personal level, no
comparison is intended.

> but are you aware that some of
> their contributions are truly missed?

Yes, I am. Apart from the numerous RL issues bugging me (the Grand
Excuse(TM)) I simply do not intend to contribute material if initial,
/technical/ discussions end up in flame wars already -- especially not if
my focus is working out the high-level issues and not the low-level ones.
That's one difference between them and me.

> Whether or not you like the
> persons, they've long earned some level of respect over the amount of
> work they put in NetBSD.

I noticed; they have the same respect for their work from me. Again, I do
expect nor ask respect for only posting a few proposals.

> So, please, don't let yourself believe anyone is comparing you to
> people who, not unlike you indeed, were sometimes communicating very
> poorly with the rest of the NetBSD community, but still provided the
> project with actual contributions in the meantime.

The only comparison I expect is the one you make yourself -- the poor
communication.

> Ok, maybe there's too much drama here, but my point stands.

I've found that even a little drama in RL makes a nice change from escapism.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!