Subject: RE: The Fall of NetBSD
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/28/2007 18:34:08
Haai,

On Tue, August 28, 2007 18:09, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On 8/28/07, De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info> wrote:
> Well, you've succeeded in activating the peanut gallery.
>
>> That's exactly what I mean by ( social cohesion > technical issues ). My
>> postings have the side-effect of stirring up something long dormant,
>
> Yep, since the last troll.

If it takes something you interpret as trolling to get you actually reply
to get a technically sound answer to my proposals and prevent a fork, so
be it. I'm willing to make that sacrifice to prevent another unnecessary
split in the history of UNIX. Aren't you?

>  so
>> I'm a troll?
>
> Technically, you're "another" troll, not just "a" troll.

I'm not 'another' troll; even if I was a troll (I certainly have at least
some troll blood running through my veins; I'll freely admit that (and no,
that's not an apology)), I'm still a -- and, more importantly, 'The' --
Whining Bastard. I'm not _quite_ sure you want to hear the rant explaining
why I believe I deserve that title, but since I'm an honest Whining
Bastard I hope giving my word will be enough. Here, you can have it.

>>[snip]
>
> You're another person contributing, which is a good thing. But then,
> accusing people of things

Ehrm, 'accusing'? I've not made any accusation -- I stated my view and my
opinion. This is not a court. If someone wants to interpret any thing I've
said as an accusation, that's their business. However, that --
increasingly hypothetical -- 'someone' will not be me.

> because they don't accept your point of
> view, as if this is un-democratic.

I'm a technocrat, I don't do politics; be it democracy or plutocracy,
don't bother me with it. It's totally useless.

> You're not the only one to do this,
> there are lots of people, sometimes much more unpleasant, who do this.

I know. As I've mentioned in the other subthread, I've trolled through the
list archives, and I believe I've seen my share.

> It's not a perfect project. It never will be.

I don't expect it to be.

> But it's pretty good.

It's about the most stable and consistent mainstream OS available. I'm not
taking NetBSD as the basis for my project for no reason :) I just wish
that there was some more room in the project for the incorporation of
somewhat more daring and unusual research...

...and that people don't take themselves so seriously :X

Baai,

De Zeurrkous

Friggin' Machines!

P.S.: Yes, this entire flamewar amuses me (troll blood, see above). But I
wouldn't have started it if it didn't have a somewhat more serious
purpose, as well.