Subject: RE: The Fall of NetBSD (was: RE: Syscall number space)
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/2007 21:28:21
Haai,

On Mon, August 27, 2007 21:15, matthew sporleder wrote:
> On 8/27/07, De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info> wrote:
>[snip]
> Thanks for quoting me.  :)

You're welcome :)

> Are you really so passionate about the internal numbering of syscalls
> that you would want to fork the entire OS just to number things your
> way?  It just seems to me like a very minor thing.

It is, but I've had a previous (as yet unresolved) run-in on tech-kern (a
flamewar about /disklabels/, you mind) in the past and, like I explained,
see these incidents as symptoms of a much larger problem.

>  Also, in my
> opinion, this thread started out as a pretty benign request to
> clean-up some kernel internals and possibly reserve some space for
> "private" use.  Could you elaborate on your concerns a little more
> clearly?  Was it the word "vendor" that bothered you so much?

In this specific case, it was:

> but there's no point making things harder than they
> need to be,

that infuriated me. There isn't being looked further than a few years
ahead at most. Unique insights are ignored, after all, 'we are engineers'.
WTF? Part of an engineer's job is to anticipate future developments;
maintaining social cohesion at expense of technical discussion is not.

> Also- how did this thread jump to netbsd-users?

Because it was a general rant, the bulk (if not all) of it doesn't belong
on tech-kern.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!