Subject: Re: Outlook like mail client, recommendations sought.
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: dieter roelants <dieter.NetBSD@pandora.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/13/2007 14:30:07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:09:20 +1000
"Paul (NCC/CS)" <pts@bom.gov.au> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I've had to move ( after years of resisting the pressure ) to
> my employers mail system which is microsoft exchange.
> I have built evolution from source but I find it monumentally
> unstable. It crashes constantly.

It uses a lot of resources, especially file descriptors. Try raising
the number of files it can open with ulimit -n (or sysctl -w
proc.<evolution-pid>.rlimit.descriptors.soft=). I use 384 myself.

> Is this most peoples experience or should evolution work?

With the above, it kinda works for me. But I don't like it...

> Are there any other mail clients that would work with usoft exchange?
>
> Any other coping strategies or tips for survival here:)?
>

> Also I'm thinking of building a gentoo or centos linux box and running
> evolution on it as an X client on NetBSD. Then I might NFS the file
> system so I can see it on my NetBSD box also. This is since I understand
> evolution is pretty stable on linux. Thoughts on this also appreciated.

I've heard my ubuntu-using coworkers complain about evolution too, so
I'm not too sure it works better under linux.

dieter