Subject: Re: Outlook like mail client, recommendations sought.
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/13/2007 19:10:25
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:09:20 +1000
"Paul \(NCC/CS\)" <pts@bom.gov.au> wrote:

> I've had to move ( after years of resisting the pressure ) to
> my employers mail system which is microsoft exchange.

Damn, the BOM is clearly going downhill ;)

> I have built evolution from source but I find it monumentally
> unstable. It crashes constantly.

I don't like it either.

> Is this most peoples experience or should evolution work?

My wife uses it for email but I haven't tried the exchange functionality yet.

> Are there any other mail clients that would work with usoft exchange?

I am also looking for suggestions in this direction.

> Any other coping strategies or tips for survival here:)?

Maybe throw something together from perl libraries on CPAN? Thats where a lot of the reverse engineered protcols seem to wind up.

> Also I'm thinking of building a gentoo or centos linux box and running
> evolution on it as an X client on NetBSD. Then I might NFS the file
> system so I can see it on my NetBSD box also. This is since I understand
> evolution is pretty stable on linux. Thoughts on this also appreciated.

You might want to consider running Linux in a virtual machine. Qemu is very good and it will save you having to take care of an extra box.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications