Subject: Re: none
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2007 14:12:58
Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com> writes:

> I assume you mean one would follow the post-release changes to keep
> track of NetBSD 4.1 (or 4.0.x etc). And if I don't want that, I should
> be able to stick onto 4.0 once its released and then just follow its
> security patches etc. Right? (Just confirming so I know its possible
> to install one of the dailies now, keep following the 4 branch till
> its released, and stop then after that except for updates).

Yes, it's definitely possible.
You can update to various branch or point tags

netbsd-4-0-RELEASE (future)
	the 4.0 release itself

netbsd-4-0 (future)
	branch tag for security fix branch for 4.0 (4.0.1 will be along
	this branch)

netbsd-4
        branch tag for release branch (already exists).  This will be
        what 4.1 and 4.2 are from.

Unless you are in a production environment where you really really want
to control changes (running servers in a data center where your company
will annoy customers if they fail), I would recommend tracking the
normal stable branch (netbsd-4).