Subject: Re: none
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2007 09:43:44
Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com> writes:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> I would suggest installing a snapshot of 4.0_BETA2.  See
>> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/current/ for where to get them.
>>
>> Today, look in
>>
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200708040002Z/iso/
>>
>> This is the contents of the netbsd-4 branch from two days ago.  Since
>> you are intending to learn rather than set up a production server, there
>> aren't really any good reasons to stay on the stable branch.
>
> And if I keep updating this as usual, then when 4.0 gets released
> there won't be anything extra to do, right?

I'm not sure what you mean 'as usual'.  4.0 release will likely be quite
close to the current beta.  So doing a full build/install from sources
won't be a big deal - updating along stable branches in NetBSD has been
very safe and reliable in my experience.  Upgrades across branches are
amazingly good, but along branches I do a rebuild/reinstall/reboot
remotely sometimes.