Subject: Re: Broadcasting to 255.255.255.255
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/2007 00:56:12
Chuck Swiger skrev:
> On Jul 20, 2007, at 3:40 AM, André Wienck wrote:
>> Also, I would hardly see any use of broadcasting out all interfaces.
>> Most of the time, broadcast to 255.255.255.255 is used for some
>> configuration purposes, and thus directed out a specific interface
>> (using the bpf interface). For most other stuff that communicates to
>> many hosts on many sides, you would rather use some type of broadcast.
>>
>> Also, we should remember what the rest of the world does in these
>> situation.
>>
>> I think not even Windows screams out on all interfaces...
>
> If you're curious about how other platforms handle IP traffic sent to
> the all-1s broadcast address and/or how they deal with sending IP
> traffic when the network interfaces have not yet been configured (ie,
> for DHCP discovery, zeroconf, PPP/PPPoE/PPPoA peer negotiation), it
> would be helpful to look over this RFC:
>
>    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3927.txt
>
> ...especially "Appendix A - Prior Implementations".

That was all very interesting, if you're into "what to do if you don't
have an IP address assigned", but don't say anything about broadcasts. :-)

> There's also a useful thread here:
>
>    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2003-July/thread.html#755

That was better. A lot of talk about broadcasts, and they basically came
to the same conclusion that the packets should go out on all interfaces
(which I support, so I'm happy obviously :-) ).
I wonder if they implemented it, or if it stopped with that
discussion...? Anyone know how freebsd do it these days?

	Johnny

email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books