Subject: Re: Broadcasting to 255.255.255.255
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Wienck?= <awienck@solnet.ch>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/19/2007 13:31:59
André Wienck skrev:
> Salut,
>
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:35:01 +0200 Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure dhclient does it through bpf(4).
>
> And you're right, it does do it this way.
>
> Given that any-network broadcast is a very special situation, I would
> even argue that this is actually the right way to do it.
>
> aw

Yuck. I would disagree. If I do an explicit send to 255.255.255.255, I
would expect the destination to remain 255.255.255.255, and not be
changed by the system to something else.
If I want a explicit network directed broadcast, I can do that myself.

But that's just my opinion on it.

	Johnny

email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books