Subject: Troubles with Xinerama + radeon driver on Xorg
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alex <schatziegill@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/17/2007 14:56:42
Quick facts:
- xorg.conf can be found here: http://cl1p.net/xorgconf/
- I have an ATI Radeon 9800 (AGP) with a DVI and VGA port.
- "screen0" is an LCD monitor ("ibm") connected to a DVI-to-VGA adaptor
("dvi2vga")
- "screen1" is a CRT monitor ("viewsonic") connected to a VGA port ("vga")

I want to use Xinerama with these two monitors, but its behavior is a
bit odd. With my current setup, the same image displays on both screens.
However, the mouse pointer can move between them. Each screen displays
the left half of a larger virtual screen. Even though both screens show
the same image, only the left screen is interactive--programs lose focus
when I move the mouse cursor to the right screen.

I am using the ion3 window manager, but I do not think it is to blame
for the screen cloning. A person using Fedora Core explains the same
problem here:
http://www.driverheaven.net/linux-radeon-display-drivers/103432-more-different-problems-radeon-9500-pro.html

The solution offered there is to use an older version of the radeon
driver. I might have to try that.

-Alex