Subject: Re: Adding /usr/local to daily security audit
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Thilo Jeremias <jeremias@optushome.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/17/2007 00:07:44
Henry Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:46:52PM -0700, Jeff_W wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way? Mainly just want to check the binaries, libraries
>> and config files under /usr/local.  Doesn't need to be at the same level
>> as the default /usr/pkg audit, maybe just daily checks of
>>

> Are you implying here that /usr/pkg is given a periodic security check
> by default, but /usr/local is not?  Is this something new in NetBSD 4?
> Can someone confirm this?
>
> Almost every application that I know of, along with their library
> dependencies, are installed under /usr/local (or /usr/X11R6) by default.
> /usr/pkg doesn't even exist on my system (NetBSD 3.0).  All this time
> I was thinking "daily" and "weekly" were watching /usr/local for me.
> What a bummer.

/usr/pkg is the default install location since nbsd 1.??
Every binary package that you install should install there.
If you use pkgsrc to build your exec's they will also install there.

If you use the GNU configure in source packages THEIR default is /usr/local
( either use pkgsrc or -prefix /usr/pkg as an option to be NBSD compatible)

not that it matters, but that's NetBSD style.

thilo