Subject: Re: dvd device.[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/16/2007 21:00:08
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:49:38 +1000
"Paul (NCC/CS)" <pts@bom.gov.au> wrote:

> I usually mount it as /dev/cd0d as a cdrom device.
> No problems.

Well, that's something.

> And I'm pretty sure it's the same for dvd's as in:  /dev/cd0d.

CD and DVD disks are exactly the same for me.

> But gmplayer can't work with it, I get :
>
> Failed to open dvd://1.

I notice that when my wife watches movies in ubuntu on her laptop the OS mounts the device. She can then navigate into the DVD in Nautilus and launch an mpeg file. There are several files on the disk. Can you directly access files on the DVD disk? If so, can you play them as mpeg?

> And dvdrip says
> check dvd device in preferences and don't forget to put a
> dvd in the drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I assume that you have some deCSS software installed? Most DVD disks are encrypted.

> - how to test the dvd drive another way?

Will it mount? What does ls say when you mount it?

> - do I need anything special in kernel?

I don't know. I haven't tried playing DVD's in netbsd.

> - any ideas or info at all?

How about mplayer? Thats pretty generic.

> Please tell me also if this is the wrong list for this question.
>
> and ask me any question you like:)

Good luck!
--
Michael Smith