Subject: NetBSD on a Shuttle SD32G2 barebone
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jimmy Johansson <jijo7845@student.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2007 02:06:03
Hi,

my computer, which I ran NetBSD 3.1 on, broke down while moving a few
weeks ago, so now I'm looking at buying a new one.

I am thinking about buying a Shuttle SD32G2 barebone, but only if the
hardware in it is compatible with NetBSD 4.0 or better (NetBSD current).

It has:

* Built in Intel GMA950 graphics card.
* Built in Realtek ALC882 audio.
* Marvell 88E8001 network controller.
* SATA II controller.

I am thinking about buing a core 2 duo processor and 4 GB of ram and run
NetBSD current for AMD64 on it. Are there any known problems with running
NetBSD on a core 2 duo? I have read several threads on tech-x11 and
noticed that NetBSD now has accelerated OpenGL, and it seems possible to
run a GMA950 graphics controller in accelerated mode running Xorg under
NetBSD current. I noticed that there has been some trouble with DRI on
amd64, but [1] and the rest of that thread seems to indicate that this
might be resolved?

[2] seems to indicate that the Marvell 88E8001 network controller will
work under NetBSD but the bugs section in man sk(4) for current says that
the driver is experimental and that performace for some Marvell adapters
is poor. Does anybody run NetBSD with a 88E8001 and how is the performace?

The Realtek ALC882 is supported according to man azalia(4), but [3] for
example seems to indicate that there might be problems? Does somebody use
such a audio card and know if there are any problems? I also ran "cvs log
/usr/src/sys/dev/pci/azalia.c", but I could not glean the status of the
driver from that...

The sata controller is an ICH7 and [4] says that piixide(4) supports ICH7
sata controllers, but not man piixide(4). [5] seems to indicate that there
might be trouble? Does anyone know the status and performance of the ICH7
support in NetBSD?

I also read [6] last week, do you thing this is something to worry about?

Also, is there anything I have forgotten to think about?

I'm sorry about the length of this email, but if it doesn't run NetBSD,
then I don't want to buy it!

Jimmy

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2007/06/08/0000.html
[2] http://www.webservertalk.com/message1330613.html