Subject: Re: Problems with restore
To: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/01/2007 11:10:55
On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 09:01:18PM +0300, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
> Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 09:58:27PM +0300, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have been using tar for a while to make backups. Now I'm
> >> planning to switch over to using dump.
> >>
> >> I planned to write multiple DVD-R sized volumes into separate
> >> files, which I'll burn on DVD-R discs.
> >>
> >> However, while running tests, I noticed that single volume
> >> dumps cause no problems when restoring, even directly from
> >> a DVD. But, when I create a multi-volume dump, I always
> >> get these errors when restoring:
> >>
> >> 	resync restore, skipped XXX blocks
> >>
> >> I tested the same on Linux, with the same ~100MB test
> >> directory, and I get the problems whenever I have more
> >> than one volume.
> >>
> >> This is so old and tested software that I'm quite
> >> certain the problem is the user.. Please help me :-)
> >
> > How did you create the dump volumes?
>
> dump -0 -B 60000 -e -f d1,d2 dir
>
> (Where dir is roughly 100MB, tried the same both on
> ext3 in Linux and on ffs (raidframe) on NetBSD 4.0_BETA2).
>
> I also tried with "-b 2" option but no difference.
>
> If I change value of -B, I get errors in different files.
>
> If I try 'dump -0 -a -f d1 dir', I have no problems.
>
> I saw somewhere that there has been problems when dump
> just changes the volume immediately when the specified
> size is reached, and the inode record gets stored on
> the first volume while the file is stored on the second
> one. Which is kind of dum_b_ :-)
>
> I could create a single volume and split it, but I'd
> like to be able to restore directly from DVDs without
> intermediate copying & catting...

Sorry, can't reproduce.  Running

	dump -0 -B 30000 -f f0,f1,f2,f3 /path
	restore -rN -f f0

I get

	DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Sun Jul  1 10:52:21 2007
	DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
	DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
	DUMP: Closing f0
	DUMP: Volume 1 completed at: Sun Jul  1 10:52:25 2007
	DUMP: Volume 1 took 0:00:04
	DUMP: Volume 1 transfer rate: 7500 KB/s
	DUMP: Dumping volume 2 on f1
	DUMP: Volume 2 started at: Sun Jul  1 10:52:25 2007
	DUMP: Volume 2 begins with blocks from inode 2183344
	DUMP: Closing f1
	DUMP: Volume 2 completed at: Sun Jul  1 10:52:26 2007
	DUMP: Volume 2 took 0:00:01
	DUMP: Volume 2 transfer rate: 30000 KB/s
	DUMP: Dumping volume 3 on f2

	Mount tape volume 2
	Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
	otherwise enter tape name (default: f0) f1
	Mount tape volume 3
	Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
	otherwise enter tape name (default: f1) f2

Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de - TU Braunschweig (Germany)