Subject: Re: make command documentation
To: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2007 14:48:00
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jun_19_14:47:12_2007-1

At Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:24:44 -0700, Cliff Wright wrote:
Subject: make command documentation
>=20
> I just noticed that Makefiles in pkgsrc use a line like:
> MASTER_SITES=3D   ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE:=3Dffmpeg/}
> However the variable modifier :=3D is not described in the make command d=
ocumentation.
> It looks like a subform of :old_string=3Dnew_string substitution, where I=
 am guessing the
> new_string is just tacked on. Is this correct? If so, this should be adde=
d to the documentation,
> as it is not obvious that this is what would happen with a blank old_stri=
ng.

I think it is already quite obvious in the existing documentation:

     old_string=3Dnew_string
          This is the AT&T System V UNIX style variable substitution.  It m=
ust
          be the last modifier specified.  If old_string or new_string do n=
ot
          contain the pattern matching character % then it is assumed that
          they are anchored at the end of each word, so only suffixes or en-
          tire words may be replaced. Otherwise % is the substring of
          old_string to be replaced in new_string

So, an empty string is still implicitly anchored to the end of the word,
and thus the form you mention substitutes nothing at the end of the word
for new_string, i.e. it does just as you guessed.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>