Subject: Re: "Software cooling" for processor
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2007 12:03:20
On Jun 8, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> I'm not sure: does NetBSD's kernel use any form of s.c. "software
> cooling"
> (something like "processor" module under Linux) - I mean, is it
> using all
> this "throttling states", or however it's called, to lower the CPU
> temperature
> when CPU has not much work?

It's likely that NetBSD uses the HLT instruction in the idle task to
reduce CPU power consumption; if you are talking about things like
PowerNow/SpeedStep-- AMD or Intel's capabilities (respectively) to
reduce the frequency that the CPU runs at if it is mostly idle, or
ACPI-based performance/throttling, I don't believe so.

Perhaps someone could port the cpufreq driver that Nate Lawson and
others wrote for FreeBSD...?

--
-Chuck