Subject: Re: postinstall fix sendmail problem on netbsd 3
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2007 14:38:40
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:56:31PM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
> >I personally prefer "passwd: files nis". That way the "root" account
> >still works if NIS is down.
>
> Unless you have "groups: files nis", too, in which case the
> NetBSD YP client will hang indefinitely, because there might be some
> additional group to get from the YP database.

True, I forgot about that.

> Reset or reboot from the debugger is your only way out.

I wonder whether killing "ypclient" via ddb(4) helps.

> An nsswitch.conf timeout for optional sources  like groups would be
> a cool feature.

The timeout could cause program failures during a NIS outage. You reboot
the NIS server in the evening and the next morning everybody would
complain that their desktop sessions died.

It would however be cool to be able to mark the "root" account as
not using any NIS groups.

	Kind regards