Subject: Re: usb-only installation?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2007 14:13:54
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >  I'm pretty sure the hardware is OK (as well as the USB "hub"
> > onboard), because i'm using the same hardware to type this
> > message, but running Kubuntu.
> >
> >  The latest FreeBSD current ISO installer (April '07) has a
> > similar problem -- it also complains about a USB error, and the
> > keyboard does not work at the installation screen.
>
> Hum, maybe a kernel without ehci could help then ...
> You could try:
> boot -c
> disable ehci
> quit

Johan's behaviour seems different from what I see here on our 745's
(although I run current not 4BETA2).

On ours it doesn't report any problem with uhub0 but shortly after
boot it prints out "uhci0: host controller halted" (actually this is
at the point where the network is ifconfig'ed).

and the keyboard is detected and works in 4 of the usb slots at the
back but not the other two and not the two at the front, however a
usb memory key works fine in all of them.

Also if Johan manages to get a keyboard working he will probably find
that a GENERIC kernel will hang during boot - you need to disable the
azalia driver and having done he'll find that the broadcom ethernet
doesn't work (doesn't receive packets but can send them).

I wonder if all these issues are not related in some way as all these
problematic devices are on irq 11.

cheers
mark