Subject: Re: Pthread issues in NetBSD 4.0 (was Java for NetBSD)
To: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl+netbsd@lists.wasmer.ca>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/30/2007 09:38:52
On 5/29/07, Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl+netbsd@lists.wasmer.ca> wrote:
> Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> > Recently (past few years), Sun has been more open about licensing a NetBSD
> > Java. Unfortunately there are issues in libpthread in NetBSD 4.0 that
> > prevent it from working. I think -current stands a much better chance, and
> > I also hope to address some of the concurrency issues on the
> > wrstuden-fixsa branch (which is a netbsd-4 branch).
> >
> What are these issues?
>
> OpenLDAP is not working for me on 4.0 beta2 (pthread issues). So far
> I've assumed it was a misuse of the pthread API (PR: pkg/36407).

I wasn't aware that the pthreads had changed that much between 3.1 and 4.0.
The ldap_pvt_thread_mutex_destroy function (maybe you could get
openldap and bdb compiled with debugging) looks like it does a fair
amount of checking before calling the actual pthread_mutex_destory.
I'm hardly an authority, but I've been using openldap for a while and
feel compelled to defend them.  :)