Subject: Re: Java for NetBSD
To: =?windows-1252?Q?Przemys=3Faw_Pawe=3Fczyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/26/2007 13:31:51
Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk said on 25/5/07 16:17:
> Hi,
> Is there any JRE or JDK for NetBSD?
> I'm not interested in Java for Suse Linux which dominates ftp
> repositories.
> Regards,
> pp

Hi,

As well as the Linux JDK's, which run on i386 NetBSD under Linux
emulation, there are the SCSL source code versions. These can be used to
build a native JDK for NetBSD. This requires the Linux version to
bootstrap it, but once the native version is installed you can delete
the Linux version along with all the SuSE packages. Current Sun
licensing means that prebuilt binaries of the native version cannot be
distributed, but this situation should improve as Sun are relicensing
the source to the JDK. Hopefully this will also lead to support for more
platforms (I'd like to be able to run a native JDK on alpha and sparc64
platforms for instance). The simplest solution for now is to run the
Linux version under emulation, but if you want to try building the
native version yourself check out the versions in pkgsrc-wip.

Regards,

Chris