Subject: "A nick for a NIC" - question and/or feature suggestion...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/19/2007 18:09:57
I'm not sure: does there exist a possibility to assign kind of ID to network
interfaces?

I guess, you all know, what I mean: suppose, I've got in my netbsd-router
two NICs today: rtk0 and ep0. But tomorrow ep0 - which, for example, is the
external interface - could be replaced by ex0 (because the motherboard will
be replaced by different one, where there are no ISA slots). And in such
case all the config files, where I wrote "ep0", must be updated.

It could be handy, if I could add to /etc/ifconfig.rtk0 something like:

LABEL=world_interface

(never mind the syntax)

...and to use in the config files of every program (or f.e. ipf script),
which wants to access rtk0, a term "world_interface". Is it possible - or
planned for the (near) future?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski