Subject: Re: Single user mode: ed(1) or bust
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/08/2007 16:46:49
Am 08.05.2007 um 9:30 Uhr -0400 schrieb Steven M. Bellovin:
>>  > Does anyone know why NetBSD doesn't ship with the tutorials? I
>>  > don't remember where I got the files for my hardcopy from, maybe
>>  > FreeBSD.
>>
>>  OpenBSD seems to have them.  I didn't find them on a FreeBSD 4.x
>>  install.
>>
>There was some deal reached a few years ago to permit their inclusion.
>I seem to recall hearing that there was one last hurdle, but one that
>would be resolved quickly.  Perhaps not...

Looks like netbsd-users has been there before:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2002/04/28/0008.html

Greg A. Woods wrote...

<snip>
Brian Kernighan's original tutorial ("A Tutorial Introduction to the
UNIX Text Editor") that is included in Volume 2 of the early Research
UNIX manuals (eg. V7, 32V, V8 too I think, etc.) was what I remember
reading first, and of course that document is now freely available as
part of the V7 distribution (from Caldera):

	http://www.tuhs.org/archive_sites.html
</snip>

	hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
      Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281