Subject: Re: NetBSD uptime !
To: Francisco Valladolid Hdez. <ficovh@yahoo.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2007 08:33:32
--=-=-=

> How can maintain a high uptime, when severals patches
> are enabled in a time period or maybe in a stable
> version ?

One would have to develop a way to change the code on a running system,
so that could get the fixed code without a reboot.

Why are you concerned about uptime?  While I admit to having a few
systems with multi-year uptimes, and think that's cool, it isn't
actually useful in most cases.  What's useful is that the system is
reliable enough that it would stay up if you didn't update software and
reboot.

If your need is really High Availability, and the system being down for
a minute or two during reboot is a problem, that's a different problem.

I'm not really sure what the blog is talking about for uptime.  It's
certainly good if a server is stable and only is rebooted when desired
every few months to update software.

One of the things that I like about NetBSD is that I can do

   cvs update along stable branch
   rebuild
   reinstall (using scripts in pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage)
   scan log to verify no /etc conflicts (true 95% of the time)
   reboot

and have a very high confidence that the system will be back online
without problems.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--