Subject: Re: Great things about NetBSD
To: Eric <kellybelly@gwi.net>
From: Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/27/2007 10:41:13
--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

Also sprach Eric (kellybelly@gwi.net)
=20
> I used NetBSD as a desktop on a new Dell PC; in my home gym I have NetBSD=
 running on an old desktop that I use to keep a workout journal; I've insta=
lled NetBSD to a 512 MB USB stick that I carry around with me, enabling me =
to run NetBSD on almost any machine with USB capabilities; and I've used Ne=
tBSD to set up a simple home electrical power monitoring system (i.e. the p=
ower's on) using a $5 garage sale computer (Packard Bell MultiMedia C115, 1=
20 Mhz CPU, 48 MB RAM, 248 MB hard drive) that automatically notifies me vi=
a emails if I lose power or power gets restored at my house when I'm not ho=
me.  I've installed NetBSD on refurbished computers that I've redistributed=
 to local refugees, and have installed it on computers owned by non-compute=
r savvy friends, with nothing but positive results.=20

How did you realize that power monitoring computer? Is it just a read
only running system that sends an email when restarted?

--=20
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE  0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
http://www.net-tex.de                                =20
http://www.cryptomancer.de
--=20
Jeder wird als Faust geboren, um alles zu erfassen, alles zu erproben, alle=
s=20
auszudr=FCcken. Da=DF Faust Gelehrter wurde, daf=FCr sorgten die Fehler sei=
ner=20
Vorg=E4nger und seiner Zeitgenossen.=20
Boris Pasternak, Doktor Schiwago

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3