Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Oliver Gould <ogould@olix0r.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/2007 13:59:39
On 2007-04-25 19:31 -0500, Wouter Schoot wrote:

> Well, who cares. I'm waiting for it to be released as well (but we
> will get (I assume) some RC's first), to reinstall my machine nice and
> clean, but I'd rather wait a while for a better product than apply a
> "Service Pack" ala Microsoft style ;)

I agree in principal, but I would say that many of us 'care' when this
is released.  There is significant functionality that will be added in
4.0; and it's simply not always an option to deploy a beta.

I don't think anyone has quite said this yet, though I would assume it's
what many have meant:

  - What are the major obstacles to getting netbsd-4 out the door?
  - Is there specific functionality that some of us could be testing?
  - What, in terms of resources, would help releng get where they want
    to be?

At least that's what _I've_ been wondering.  Those of us that would
prefer to be running 4.0 in production might be able to spend some time
helping to get us there.

Just a thought...
  - Oliver