Subject: Re: how much does the L2 cache affect performance?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Z. B. <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2007 19:29:22
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:48:45PM +0800, Joseph A. Dacuma wrote:

> It clearly says about CPU speed, so 256kB L2 cache running at full speed
> ist equivalent to a 512kB running at half speed. And with a higher clock
> rating -- with transistors more than twice, its faster. In sum, Mr. Nelson
> will be better off with the processor with 256kB L2 Cache.

Yes, it's very likely.

> Also, its not the size of the cache alone that determines (better)
> performance, the overall design of a processor will make the difference
> like Processor A is more efficient in handling floating-point computations
> compared to Processor B and the like.

As I wrote: I'm aware, that VIA and P-II are differently built. But I just
made kind of "practical comparison", not digging too deeply into any
datasheets - just giving a try to both. Both can be used without colling fan
(a radiator is enough) - and I was wondering, which one will be faster.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski