Subject: Re: how much does the L2 cache affect performance?
To: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2007 02:52:57
Hi Mr. Nelson!

> I have a choice between two PentIII's, SL364 (450/512/100/2.0V S1) and
> SL3XM (700/256/100/1.65V S1).  The machine the cpu is intended for is a
> web, mail and shell account server.  Does the biggest gain come from a
> higher clock speed or a larger L2 cache, I wonder.  NetBSD kernel of
> course.

SL3XM's L2 cache though less in size has its speed doubled compared to
that of SL364 according to Intel. Therefore, _in theory_ you're better off
with SL3XM and it uses less power (less heat?). But in practice, like web
and mail, I don't think there would be a _dramatic_ difference in
performance between the two processors.

HTH,

Joseph