Subject: Re: Thanks NetBSD [Was Re: Debian redefines itself]
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/22/2007 15:54:07
--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:05:21PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> I would be interested in reading a technical comparision of NetBSD and
> Debian (not a flame fest or a religious debate) to understand for
> example, _why_ the rc system is better than sysVinit (as implemented by
> debian), _how_ the kernel differs.

You might want to check out the wiki page I wrote about the RC system:
http://wiki.netbsd.se/index.php/rc.d

Be sure to also read Luke Mewburn's paper on the RC system (linked in the
'see also' section of that wiki page)

Of course, you also need to know a thing or two about the SysV init system
used by Debian in order to be able to compare the two systems.  Feel free
to write a page on that for comparison purposes. :)

For differences regarding the kernel, I can recommend the NetBSD internals
document: http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/internals/en/
And there's of course the excellent book by McKusick: "The Design and
Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System", which is basically an
updated and revised version of "he Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System".  Many things in there are also applicable to NetBSD.
For the Linux kernel, there are similar books.  I don't know of a particular
good one, but I think O'Reilly has several.

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://sjamaan.ath.cx