Subject: Re: Debian redefines itself
To: =?utf-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Loic Hoguin <essen@dev-extend.eu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/18/2007 22:36:42
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:04:50 +0200, Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl>
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:46:19 -0700
> "Andy Ruhl" <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/18/07, Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp@kv.net.pl> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've read an interesting succinct article about Debian 4.0 latest
>> > release. I will quote a few lines, and I'd like to know what
>> > official representatives of NetBSD Community would answer me if I
>> > asked them how NetBSD and Debian 4.0 could be compared within the
>> > quoted subjects.
>> [cut]
>> NetBSD is NOT for the uninitiated.
>
> So is Debian in both forms - desktop and server.
>
>> If the uninitiated want to use it,
>> that's great, but they'll have to spend time learning and reading. If
>> they want to write about their experience along the way, that's
>> wonderful.
>
> But Debian reached out helpful hand for beginners, not pure freshmen,
> but "beginners in more advanced functions of the system". Desktop has to
> be tweaked like a server but with less "professional" knowledge. Anyway
> one has to have good portion of knowledge to do it.

I was and I am still a beginner to most of the advanced features of NetBSD,
and I do not understand your point here (in this and other emails). I used
it for three years now and most of the time I found the documentation
enough
to do what I wanted, as a user and as a developer. Plus the NetBSD
community is very friendly, always ready to help if you can't find a
solution to your problems. The mailing list archives are filled with
answers to most of the questions you can ask. So, what's your point?
Explain it once and for all.

And please stop sending all these annoying emails. Do that on an IRC
channel,
or on a forum. A lot of people are subscribed to these mailing lists, and
they want to read about NetBSD, not about Debian. And they want to read
about packages on pkgsrc-users, not netbsd-users. Don't send to the wrong
lists.

If you are sincere and do want to help, do help. Get to work. Help testing.
Help writing documentation. Help porting packages. And stop trolling.
Please.
But first learn how to help the NetBSD way, not *your* way.

You do have some good ideas, but they are lost in the flow of nonsense you
throw at us.

Thank you,

--
Loïc Hoguin