Subject: Re: Connecting IP-based printer?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2007 14:06:20
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 10:16:23PM -0500, Brian Grayson wrote:
>   I purchased a Brother MFC-665CW printer/fax/etc. box recently, and have
> it working wirelessly with the Windows half of the home network.
>
>   I noticed that when I telnet in to the printer, it mentions support for
> lpr/lpd protocol, which looks promising.  If I add the following
> /etc/printcap entry, _something_ happens, but it doesn't print:
>
> lp3:sh:lp=515@192.168.1.13:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Easily diagnosed.

lp=port@address opens a raw tcp connection and pipes the data to it,
then closes it again.

That's useful for port 9100 on HP printers, and ports 2001-200N at some
terminal server boxen thinly disguised as printer servers, and for the
serial printer port on NCD X terminals from my youth.

At port 515 you would need to speak the lpd protocol. For that, use

...:rm=192.168.1.13:rp=thequeuename:....

instead. Ask the handbook, or for a modern printer, mDNS how the queues
are called. One queue (on the printer) will be called lp - but I don't
know what sort of data it wants on your printer...

Regards,
	-is