Subject: Re: Connecting IP-based printer?
To: Brian Grayson <bgrayson@austin.rr.com>
From: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2007 13:43:11
On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 10:16:23PM -0500, Brian Grayson wrote:
>   I purchased a Brother MFC-665CW printer/fax/etc. box recently, and have
> it working wirelessly with the Windows half of the home network.
>
>   I noticed that when I telnet in to the printer, it mentions support for
> lpr/lpd protocol, which looks promising.  If I add the following
> /etc/printcap entry, _something_ happens, but it doesn't print:
>
> lp3:sh:lp=515@192.168.1.13:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

You do not declare any filter? That is you send the raw stuff? I suppose
this printer supports whether PostScript or a proprietary language. You
need first to transform the the job to something that the printer can
handle.

You have documentation in the NetBSD guide, and you can read too some
good sections in the FreeBSD handbook (Advanced Printer Setup).

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/