Subject: Re: Desktop application agenda
To: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/2007 14:17:41
On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:17:41PM -0400, Brian McEwen wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2007, at 7:25 PM, Przemys??aw Pawe??czyk wrote:
>
> >Oh, there you are... meritocracy, reputation, etc. The rest are only
> >bunch of hooligans and should keep their mouth shut. Oh, I see... Not
> >that I open my eyes today, far from that. This rotten f*** posture of
>
> This type of content is what is killing respect for your questions.
> In my opinion.

Well, that would be part of it.  The other part, it seems to me, is that
in fact it *is* a meritocracy, and that reputation *does* matter.  NetBSD
is not a democracy of its users.  That is a plain and simple fact.

Evidently that fact makes Przemys??aw very angry, but, you know, if you
don't like the weather it doesn't do much good to turn your face up to
the sky and spit back at the rain: it will only ensure that you get even
more wet.

I think that NetBSD is pretty good at listening to people who make
reasonable suggestions, particularly when they make them from what they
have, by what they have actually said and done over time, demonstrated
to be a reasonable point of view.  On the other hand, I think we could
really improve our ability to *not* listen to people who make loud
complaints based on their own lack of reason and experience -- and then
further demonstrate those qualities by what they say and do over time!

I suspect that if we get better at that Prezemys??aw will either go
away, or get even more angry.  But then again, he also thinks he's
being "coerced" because someone didn't do the particular daily builds
he wants, so I personally do not care.

Thor