Subject: Re: Desktop application agenda
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2007 18:45:17
--Signature=_Fri__13_Apr_2007_18_45_17_-0500_hEYPmKXSXUMtLKLJ

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:07:39 +0100 (BST)
David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org> wrote:

>  	If I wanted a box to connect up to my TV to run freevo,
>  	kde and suchlike for my partner then I need a whole bunch
>  	of other applications on that box, if I want something for
>  	a sparc5 or a small disk old laptop... if need a different
>  	set of apps.

Many thanks for your words. Not a bile but a gentleman's answer. Thanks
a lot.

>  	So, what does NetBSD try to do:
>  	So, in what areas can this be improved
>
>  	c) Improving the pkgsrc infrastructure, in particular having
> an option for a standard NetBSD install to automatically pull
>  	   in packages from pkgsrc, via binary packages initially and
>  	   later via filling in the holes via src where needed.
>  	   _This_ is where I think the real win would be

I'm all for it! And vice-versa, to pull binaries (if exist), not
sources, for every dependency during compilation.

>  	d) Having more choice of NetBSD installations which come
>  	   preconfigured with useful applications.
That's what I pointed out, to no avail.

>  	   While I think 'c)' is more useful, this is also a win.
>  	   Interestingly we have pkgsrc/sysutils/mklivecd which
> allows custom live cds to be built. I think having an option to
>  	   put an installer on that would be very interesting,
>  	   particularly when combined with c).

Revolution's coming! I still don't believe my eyes.

>  	   Note d) is a _perfect_ area where someone can experiment
>  	   and when they have something which works for them and
>  	   others they can come back and say "look at this, would
>  	   it not be good if we could add this as an option to the
>  	   official NetBSD releases"
Nooooo, you're kidding? Right?

>  	People want different things from NetBSD. We need to try to
> pick directions which can give the most people "what they want", and
>  	I think c) and d) from the above are two options in that.
>
> > Perhaps your "hate" makes you "blind" and you didn't notice what
> > I really said. _That I'm not using NetBSD. I'm using applications
> > running under control of operating system, here NetBSD._
>
>  	I think your phrasing may be offputting to some. hate is
> quite a strong word, and people are likely to focus on that word and
>  	your message may be lost.
That's right. But I said it before - some pay attention to form,
not to e-mail text nitty-gritty.

>  	Another way of phrase it might have been:
>
>  	"Perhaps your strong views against the idea of "bloating"
>  	NetBSD meant you missed my main point. _That I'm not using
>  	NetBSD. I'm using applications running under control of
>  	operating system, here NetBSD._"
Let it be then. If it only secure results from all the mess with
Mr. Pawełczyk's ideas.

Kindest regards,
p2o2
--