Subject: Re: Vista doesn't play well when uploading.
To: None <Netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2007 20:52:18
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:43:35 -0400
Glen Johnson <gjohnson@valcom.com> wrote:

> NetBSD-users,
> This is an observation and I wanted to let you know about it.  I am
> using NetBSD3.1 on a server and my backups that I make have to be copied
> to our new file server, a machine running Vista on it.  When I use
> smbclient to put my 400MB backup it has an upload rate of 312KBps.  I
> then did a get and the download rate was 9MBps.  I then uploaded the
> same file to my Windows2000 machine and it had an upload rate of
> 2MB/sec.  I know none of these transfers are blazing fast but 312KB is
> not even in the same relm as 2MB/sec.
> FYI,
> Glen Johnson

A quick google found this:

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/03/31/opsys_aadchcgagd_hf/

The article is about the behavior of explorer on a windows client but it does go on to discuss something called a "fast query". I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect that the samba team will have to do some more reverse engineering of SMB now that Vista is out.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications