Subject: Re: SCSI disk restarting
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2007 10:36:23
>                  When booting into NetBSD I have a script that runs "scsictl
> sd0 stop" to stop the other disk spinning. However each morning, at about 3am
> something restarts sd0 and it starts spinning again. I get the following
> message in /var/log:
>
> Apr 13 03:33:02 ultra10 /netbsd: sd0: pack is stopped, restarting...
>
> Any idea why it keeps doing this and how to prevent it from restarting?

This will be because the daily (nightly) job running from cron (see root's
crontab) does checking of disklabels.  If you want the disk to be completely
invisible to the system, you could use the 'scsictl ... detach ...` command
after stopping the disk, for example:

  scsictl /dev/scsibus0 detach 0 0

(assuming that your sd0 is target 0, lun 0 on bus 0).

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/