Subject: Re: Thinkpad 600 audio problem
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2007 22:06:32
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:19:28PM -0500, Louis Guillaume wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I recently pulled an old thinkpad out of the closet (ThinkPad 600) and fired
>> it up. NetBSD-3.0_STABLE from January '06 was on it and I was happy.
>>
>> The plan for this machine is to be a neat, small music-playing machine that
>> connects to a server in the basement for the mp3 library.
>>
>> /dev/audio was working fine until I decided to update to NetBSD-3.1.
>>
>> In NetBSD-3.1 I have no audio devices configured. In fact there is not any
>> mention of it in dmesg...
>>
>> dhcp-212# dmesg | egrep -i "(audio|not conf)"
>> Intel 82371AB (PIIX4) Power Management Controller (miscellaneous bridge,
>> revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured
>>
>> ... so it's not even `not configured' !! Any idea how I can get this working?
>
> The audio(4) device is something that attaches to the sound card driver,
> so it's rarely unconfigured...
>
> Can you post the whole dmesg output instead?

OK - looks like a false alarm. I booted from the old kernel (3.0) and
found the audio device missing. So then I ran memcheck86 (no errors
after 4 hours) and reset the bios. Now the audio device shows up.

But now I need to get arts/kde to see it. I get this error;
`Informational - artsmessage,'

  "Sound server informational message:
   Error while initializing the sound driver:

   unknown format given by driver (_format = -1, asked
   driver for 16 got 1)

   The sound server will continue, using the null output
   device."

Could that mean the hardware is trying to use 1-bit audio and arts
doesn't understand? I don't think I've ever heard of a 1-bit device in
actual use though.

Louis