Subject: Re: sendfile support in NetBSD
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2007 17:44:31
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:31:43AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I don't see how it's an API botch. The definition I saw, the one in
> Dragonfly, looks rather sane. So please explain. You obviously feel
> strongly about it, but you haven't said much other than express strong
> feelings.

It doesn't do anything you can't do without existing, standard interfaces,
and the existence of duplicative interfaces for doing things that are
standardised simply increases the amount of code _we_ have to maintain,
while leading application programmers to write nonportable code.

> 1) I agree that if slice() existed first, sendfile() would have had little
> reason to exist.

You have the history backwards.  The splice() API dates to the late 1980s.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all