Subject: Re: firefox-linux process
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2007 21:36:03
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:12:40PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running www/firefox-bin-flash from pkgsrc-2006Q3 on NetBSD/i386 3.1,
> but it crashes often. The problem is I can't run firefox-linux again
> ("Firefox is already running. (...)"). But when I look up for the
> process, I can't find it. I get this message even when trying to run
> NetBSD compiled binary firefox. /var/run has nothing too.
>
> Any solutions?

Daniel Sieger already explained about the lock file, but let me add a
workaround for the underlying problem: the flash plugin makes firefox
less stable.  Recently I started using nspluginwrapper[1] (compiled and
installed manually) which gives me two advantages:

* I can use a native (NetBSD) firefox with alien plugins (flash et al.)

* the plugins run as a separate process; if they crash, my browser keeps
  running and all I have to do is refresh the page to restart the plugin

I should package it but it's not trivial since it has compiled and binary
components and I haven't yet had time to figure out how to package it
properly.  But it's easy enough to compile and install manually for now.

	Geert

[1] http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/