Subject: Re: VPN+fetchmail+sendmail: Domain of sender address a@b.c does not
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2007 00:31:30
> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:23:35PM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 >> ... and it is fixed by '/etc/rc.d.sendmail restart|reload'.

> Is there any reason that you don't add that command to "/etc/ppp/ip-up"?
Restarting services and programs seems ugly solution.
But it works.

 >> Question:
 >> 1) why sendmail, once started, doesn't use updated /etc/resolv.conf?

> Reading "/etc/resolv.conf" is (usually) managed by "libc" which never
> rereads it for performance reasons.
Even rereading it once a second or so? BTW: Under linux this problem was
solved long ago, I don't know how, libc/nscd?

 >> 2) is it possible to configure it to do this?

> Not that I'm aware of.

> An alternative solution would be to run a local caching nameserver
> on your NetBSD and put "nameserver 127.0.0.1" into "/etc/resolv.conf".
> You could even teach "/etc/ppp/ip-up" to write a new "named.conf"
> which uses your ISP's nameservers as forwarders.
Thanks for idea. Restarting sendmail is enough for me, but
It would be nice to see _real_ solution in NetBSD.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.