Subject: VPN+fetchmail+sendmail: Domain of sender address a@b.c does not
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2007 22:23:35
Hi all. I have some trouble with VPN + fetchmail + sendmail on
NetBSD-3.1 box. I connect to internet through ISP's VPN
server using pppd+pptp. /etc/resolv.conf is updated by
/etc/ppp/ip-{up,down} scripts, i.e. ISP's DNS servers
are added to /etc/resolv.conf by
/etc/ppp/ip_up script, and removed from resolv.conf
by /etc/ppp/ip-down script.
That is sendmail starts up (at boot time) with almost empty resolv.conf, with
no DNS servers in it at all.

Then I run 'fetchmail my.pop.server' and get lots of error messages like
the following.

reading message cheusov@mail.tut.by:1 of 243 (5040 octets) ...fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address pkgsrc-wip-discuss-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net does not resolve
. not flushed
reading message cheusov@mail.tut.by:2 of 243 (14752 octets) ..fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address pkgsrc-wip-cvs-bounces@lists.sourceforge.net does not resolve

I.e., I cannot obtain my e-mails. As I understand the problem is with DNS,
and it is fixed by '/etc/rc.d.sendmail restart|reload'.

Question:
1) why sendmail, once started, doesn't use updated /etc/resolv.conf?
2) is it possible to configure it to do this?
3) (if answer for 2 is yes) why such configuration is not the default
   in NetBSD?

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.