Subject: install doesn't save network config?
To: DIST - NetBSD -users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2007 14:20:22
Hi all -

In an attempt to get things "right" I re-installed NetBSD 3.1 over the
weekend ... more than once, it turns out.

I am having difficulty getting my install to network properly. During the
last install attempt I decided to confirm that the install program could,
indeed, get the networking to "take" by choosing FTP as my install medium
instead of the CD I had burned.

My initial setup in the install dialogues did not appear to work. I
suspected that this might have something to do with my having chosen IPv6
autoconfiguration. The "ping" test that the install program ran showed
100% packet loss & I was presented with the option to retry setting up the
network. I chose the highlighted "yes" option ... and immediately a
download of the installation packages began!

So everything downloaded correctly from /somewhere/ and /some/ aspect of
the initial shot at setting up networking "worked" ... but once again when
I rebooted into the new system I could not SSH out of the box.

And that was where I left this latest attempt yesterday.

I am going to go through the "NetBSD Networking FAQ" and make sure all the
relevant text files contain the proper information, but ... if a working
network setup (which the install program did not seem to recognize I had,
despite the fact that it went ahead and used it) is achieved during
installation, shouldn't that setup ideally be saved to the new install?

Just a final point, the Network FAQ starts by saying "[t]he NetBSD install
process includes basic network configuration, which implements a standard
workstation setup."

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org