Subject: Re: sendmail problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/2007 14:55:22
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 09:25:54AM +0100, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>   On a system I use remotely as a source repository, sendmail complains
>about the usual FQN stuff, which makes it take a lot of time to start up.
>
>   I thought I'd fix this once for all, but I'm not having much luck
>with it.
>
>   One of the problems is that the DHCP server that this computer
>connects to, doesn't seem to send out 'hostname'. So I have to run
>"ifconfig" to find out what address it has, and then run "nslookup", and
>finally "hostname". /etc/hosts also needs to be updated, I guess, to
>reflect the new name. (Yes, its IP address and hostname does change from
>time to time).
>
>   I guess I should be using a dhclient-enter-hook script to make it all
>automagic. But when I tried a while back I got stuck pretty soon. I
>needed "sed" to parse the output from various commands, but sed didn't
>seem to be available when the DHCP client ran at startup. Or perhaps I
>just forgot to hard code the path to it? Hmm..

Sorry I didn't study the whole thread, but one option I didn't
notice is to adjust your rc script, see rcorder(8), if you just
defer starting sendmail until after all filesystems are mounted,
networking finishes and you've done the sed magic for your
hostname.... that would be the easiest way for me.

// George