Subject: Re: Wacom tablets and NetBSD?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2007 13:11:10
Hi Geert.

On 2007.01.22 18:37:18 +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> uhidev1 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
> uhidev1: WACOM CTE-440-U V4.0-3, rev 1.10/4.03, addr 3, iclass 3/1
> uhidev1: 3 report ids
> ums1 at uhidev1 reportid 1: 3 buttons and Z dir.
> wsmouse1 at ums1 mux 0
> uhid0 at uhidev1 reportid 2: input=7, output=0, feature=1
> uhid1 at uhidev1 reportid 3: input=0, output=0, feature=1
>
> As a mouse, it works out of the box (with three buttons).  However the scroll
> wheel and extra buttons on the tablet don't work.  hexdump on /dev/uhid0 and
> /dev/uhid1 doesn't show anything, whatever I do.
[...]
> Maybe I need your patch, but mine is a Graphire4.  Could I please see your
> dmesg with and without your patch applied?

I no longer have access to the Graphire3 6x8 that I tested,
unfortunately, but I did make a note of the demesg output:

    uhidev0: WACOM CTE-630-UV3.1-4, rev 1.01/3.14, addr 3, iclass 3/1
    uhidev0: 3 report ids
    ums0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: 3 buttons and Z dir.
    wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
    uhid0 at uhidev0 reportid 2: input=7, output=0, feature=1
    uhid1 at uhidev0 reportid 3: input=0, output=0, feature=1

Which looks similar to your dmesg output.  I didn't record whether
this was pre- or post-patch, but from memory the patch only enabled
reading information via the uhid #2 rather than changing the probe
messages.

I never tested the scroll wheel as I didn't have the mouse, and I
don't recall the tablect having extra buttons.

> My XFree86 doesn't have the usbtablet driver installed (although the sources
> are in xsrc/), but it has a wacom driver.  Is it the same?

I'm using XFree86 as shipped with NetBSD, and it appears to come
with the usbtablet driver:

    $ locate usbtablet | g X11R6
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/usbtablet_drv.o
    /usr/X11R6/man/cat4/usbtablet.0
    /usr/X11R6/man/man4/usbtablet.4
    $

At least, I don't recall (and didn't record) doing anything explicit
to compile & install the usbtablet driver.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli