Subject: Re: Nvidia petition ..put it on the website
To: Karim Forsthofer <kforstho@email2me.net>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/06/2006 22:39:47
Karim Forsthofer wrote:
> We could get much more signers, if somebody from the netbsd project could
> put the url on the website. http://www.nvidia-petition.tk
>
> Believe me, a working driver (even closed source) would bring much
> benefit to netbsd. 3D Hardware acceleration is a standard today, like
> soundcards.

Not trying to be overly pesimistic here, but it's time for a reality check.
A commercially supported NetBSD driver is not going to happen
with the current size of the NetBSD user base, and their combined
purchasing power.

The right way (and if you think about it, the only way)  to go about this
if we want a driver is to put our weight behind other petitions for
release of docs so the X.org and Mesa guys can make drivers for us.

Some vendors actually show promise in the area, see for example
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/index.html

I believe the ATI forecast looks somewhat brighter after they got
bought by AMD. Remember, NetBSD was one of the first (if not -the- first?)
open source OS to run on the amd64 platform. :)