Subject: Re: dump is slow over network and/or raidframe
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/2006 11:38:28
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 11:11:50PM -0500, Louis Guillaume wrote:
>> Any idea what's going on here? Device and system info are below...
>
> Can you run a network benchmark like "pkgsrc/net/ttcp", please?
> It might just be a problem with your network.

Ok! I played with ttcp and think there is another culprit: nfs.

Once again here's the scenario...

      +--------+               +-------+
 st0--o  maat  |<--dump/ssh---<| thoth |
      +--------+               +-------+

... what I noticed was that I also had /usr/pkgsrc mounted on thoth via
nfs from maat.

I just did a "umount /usr/pkgsrc" on thoth and now all is nice and fast
again.

The nfs mount being present affected both dump (with RCMD_CMD=ssh) and
ttcp. There is badness there, no?

However it did *not* seem to affect ftp! Probably because of where the
sockets are??

Please let me know if I can provide more info...

Thanks,

Louis