Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.99.5 date error
To: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2006 22:11:29
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:14:32 +0200
haad <haaaad@gmail.com> wrote:

> I 'm using NetBSD 3.99.5 on my laptop and when I want  set  date  with
> date  0621133005 everythings stops for 10 seconds and then all go fine
> this happens only in X nor in console
> My window manager is enlightenment .

Is that really the date command you used?  If so, I'm surprised it did
anything; that date isn't valid.  See what you wrote compared with the
format that I pasted from date(1):

	ccyymmddhhmm[.ss]
	  0621133005

Your year is right, but you specified month 21, day 12, hour 30.  If
it accepted that at all, it would have been setting the date a year or
so in the future -- and indeed, your email has a timestamp of
13 Sep 2007 16:14:32.

The date command does seem to check the month value for validity, so
I'm not sure just what happened.  But if it accepted it, the freeze may
have been while cron caught up to the future...