Subject: Re: How to install NetBSD on Intel ICH8 ?
To: Thomas Feddersen <thomas.feddersen@t-online.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2006 19:42:50
On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 12:15:43AM +0100, Thomas Feddersen wrote:

> I deactivated the integrated graphic adapter in the Bios and plugged a
> separate graphic card into the PCI-slot ->
> No improvement, the system still crashes after a few seconds of data
> transfer.

Well, I don't know what the problem might be with your system, but I
can attest that some "ICH8" systems work great.  There are many different
chipsets that identify as having ICH8 devices on the PCI bus, right?  We
replaced ftp.netbsd.org with a system that has an Intel 5000 server
chipset (some parts of which claim to be ICH8) and it works wonderfully.

Can you run a standalone memory test on your system for a few hours with
no problems?  Try memtest86+ in pkgsrc; you can build it and put it in
your NetBSD root filesystem, and boot it using our bootblocks.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater